Tuesday, July 21, 2015

More plans than our heads can handle!

Well, it's time for an update.

:)

The RVing trip

We are still pretty much gung-oh on the RV trip. In the last year (time flies!), we must have discussed 10 different ways to timeline our new life. However, we will be sticking with the first idea, which is a spring 2017 departure.

No point in rushing things... the way we see it, even though we say "go" right now, the house needs purging before being sold, we need to make that Italy trip happen and we need to save money. It's a catch-22... either we spend money now or spend it later. Meh.

Different options we entertained:

  • Selling now
  • RVing in the fall
  • RVing next year
  • Renting an apartment in town
  • Renting an apartment out of town
  • Buying a small house
  • Buying a condo and rent it out
All of these, combined together or not, in multiple ways or on its own. At the end of the day, no wonder why my head is spinning. ;)


The debtload 

One major advantage of wanting to sell our house is to pay off the mortgage and buy something smaller but comfy in a more peaceful setting. No mortgage, no noise, just peace and quiet without the burden of a mortgage.

What I find appealing in that choice is that we hopefully will be able to reduce the numbers of hours we need to work. No longer do I want to work a certain amount of hours to meet a mortgage and utilities payment. I want the chance to work less and live more, knowing that our house is paid for and minimalist in its operating costs. 


The work situation

I am bored and unchallenged. I sit at a desk 40 hours a week. His situation is different since he works in retail. I want to work for myself and have enrolled in a translation course. I already have a few clients! 

Hopefully down the road, I can be my own boss and be good with a 20-hour work week.


Conclusion

I know it's not as easy as it sounds. 20 hours a week might not generate enough money to sustain our lifestyle, or to pay for gas, food, etc. We can then adjust. But I believe that the freedom that comes with being debtless cannot have a price on it.  And I want it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Write us :-)