Sunday, February 14, 2016

The "making money" priority

Don't get me wrong, I (Chantal) love money. We need money! To buy food, to have some sort of basic utilities such as heat and electricity, and so on. But how much money does one need?

If you have a roof over your head, food on the table, can keep warm at night, have water to drink and are able to save money at the end of the month, then I think you have more than enough.

If you love what you do and have a passion for it, great. I am sure that working 60 hours a week is not an issue for you since you love it. It's your career. You have a family. That is great. This is not my/our situation. We both grew out of passion for our jobs. 2-4 weeks vacation is not enough for us to do what we love.

I want to be able to work doing something I love (translating and photography). I love to translate, I love using French every day and I should be using it every day. I am working hard to establish myself while I still have a job so that the transition isn't so hard. It is less money, but it could be just enough.

So I am confident that, after all our debts have been erased with the sale of the house, our "RV trip savings" will be more than enough to get gas in the truck and food on our table. And if we need more money? We'll get a part-time job, I'll take on more translations, or we'll stay put for a while. Nothing wrong about that.

Work for what you know you need, not for what you think you want.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Write us :-)